Pre-Operative Guidelines for Plastic Surgery
These are our general pre-operative guidelines. Dr. Brought and his staff will go over your specific instructions with you and send you home with a copy at your pre-operative visit, but here is a basic idea of what to expect prior to your surgery date.
Two Weeks Prior to Surgery:
- No aspirin or ibuprofen
- Stop taking large doses of vitamin E
- Discontinue any herbal supplements and diet pills of any kind
- Commence daily multivitamin routine
- Stop smoking
One Week Before Surgery:
- Abstain from alcohol and drug use
- Check with doctor before taking any cold medicine
- Shower with anti-bacterial soap
- Schedule a friend or relative to stay with you for 24 hours following surgery
- Report any signs of cold or infection to the doctor
Night Before and Morning of Surgery:
- Shower thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap the night before and morning of your surgery. Also, wash your hair the morning of surgery. Do not shave the surgical sites.
- Dress comfortably in loose-fitting clothes and slip-on shoes the morning of surgery.
- Do not wear any jewelry or bring valuables with you the morning of surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Do not apply any products to your skin or hair the morning of surgery.
- The morning of surgery, brush your teeth without swallowing any water.
- Do not wear contact lenses the morning of surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions
You might have additional questions for your nurse or doctor, but these are some frequently asked questions we see often from patients:
1. Can I Take Tylenol Before Plastic Surgery?
Yes. Tylenol is one of the only pain relievers you can take before surgery or in the two weeks prior to your surgery. This is because Tylenol does not interfere with blood clotting or healing from surgery.
2. Why Is It Important to Take a Multivitamin to Prepare for Surgery?
Vitamin supplements make your body healthier, so you can heal faster after surgery.
3. Is There Anything Special I Have to Do to Prepare for Breast Augmentation Surgery?
These general guidelines apply to all plastic surgery. You will be given specific directions for your surgery during your pre-operative office visit.
4. What Are the Pre-Op Tummy Tuck Instructions?
Follow these general guidelines for preparing for plastic surgery. In your last pre-operative visit, we will go over instructions specific to your tummy tuck surgery with you and send you home with a copy to review.
5. Can I Just Have My Morning Coffee Before I Come in for My Surgery?
Fasting is a strict rule for any surgery performed with general anesthesia. Having food or drink in your system could cause complications from the anesthesia.
6. Is It Okay to Apply My Moisturizer After Washing My Face the Morning Before Surgery?
When you arrive for surgery, it is important that your skin and hair be completely clean and free of any products. Any topical products add bacteria to your body and increase your risk of infection. Using a facial moisturizer is an important part of your daily skin health routine, but this one day, your health will be better protected without it.
If you have any questions about preparing for plastic surgery, do not hesitate to call Dr. Brought’s office at (615) 791-9090